Rhode Island Juvenile Lawyer
As much as you love your kids, you know that they are going to make mistakes from time to time. If your child or loved one has been charged with a juvenile offense, it is essential that you speak with an experienced Rhode Island juvenile lawyer as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of Stefanie A. Murphy, our juvenile crimes attorney can help protect your child’s rights and fight for his or her freedom in Rhode Island.
Juvenile charges range from murder, attempted murder, carjacking, armed robbery, hate crimes, assault and battery, shoplifting, car theft, drug possession, DUI, as well as other charges. The most common crime committed by a child is theft or larceny, followed by vandalism.
After an arrest for committing a juvenile crime, finding the right criminal defense lawyer is a necessity, not a choice. Just one juvenile conviction has the potential to change your son or daughter’s life in a negative manner for years to come.
In your search for the right criminal defense lawyer in Rhode Island, be sure to look at the following matters:
- Amount of years in the legal field defending juveniles.
- His or her ratio for success to failure in either winning dismissal of the charge/s or obtaining an acceptable plea deal.
- Ability to communicate with children. Some kids will go into a shell facing such charges. It is up to the Rhode Island juvenile lawyer to get through to them about the seriousness of the case.
- Finding a juvenile crimes attorney who knows the ins-and-outs of the Rhode Island legal system. This includes knowing many of the prosecutors and how they approach juvenile cases.
Building a Juvenile Crime Defense
When examining your child’s case, it is important to consider the following when building a defense:
- Is there evidence (eyewitness statements or video) to show to the contrary that they did steal an item or items?
- Were they treated fairly by law enforcement?
- Are they being offered a fair plea deal if there is little to no chance of the charge or charges being dismissed?
Hiring a qualified Rhode Island criminal defense attorney can make a significant difference in jail time, fines, and probation.
Juvenile Crime Statistics
In 1997, roughly 356 juveniles per 100,000 population were incarcerated in the United States. By 2015, a total of 48,043 juveniles were in detention centers, equaling 152 per 100,000 population, showing a significant decrease in less than a decade. For Rhode Island specifically, the juvenile arrest rate fell 56% between 1995 and 2011.
Contact Our Rhode Island Juvenile Attorney
The focus of juvenile cases is to protect the rights of children and their families. We want to assist your loved one who has come into contact with the legal system in Rhode Island. We want to help our clients not only resolve the legal issue they are facing but help get their life back on track and help their families, too.
It is important to hire a skilled Rhode Island juvenile attorney as soon as possible. Contact Attorney Stefanie Murphy to discuss your case, your defenses, your rights, and all your options. Please call (401) 316-9423 or contact us online.